Cycling in the right gear: cycle chic.

Cycling is hot in Seoul right now. But fads come and go here. Remember board game cafes?

Some riders around Seoul choose style at the expense of common sense. As mentioned below riding distances are often short (to /from campus or down to the cafe) so practical bikes and clothes are easily expendable commodites.

Similarly, style is all in the 'cycle chic' movement which appears to be bringing more chicks onto the roads/footpaths and cycleways to ride (or at least be photographed). The fashion industry infiltrating the latest green trend? Andre Kim a major domestic fashion designer has designed the most recent wave of small bikes in Korea.

Things I like in the seriously playful Copenhagen Cycle Chic manifesto:

"I embrace my responsibility to contribute visually to a more aesthetically pleasing urban landscape. I am aware that my mere prescence in said urban landscape will inspire others without me being labelled as a 'bicycle activist'.

I will ride with grace, elegance and dignity.

I will choose a bicycle that reflects my personality and style. I will, however, regard my bicycle as transport and as a mere supplement to my own personal style. Allowing my bike to upstage me is unacceptable.

I will accessorize in accordance with the standards of a bicycle culture and acquire, where possible, a chain guard, kickstand, skirt guard, fenders, bell and basket.

I will respect the traffic laws."

Things I am highly dubious about in the seriously playful Copenhagen Cycle Chic manifesto:

"I will endeavour to ensure that the total value of my clothes always exceeds that of my bicycle."

What if my clothes are all second hand- does this mean I have to ride a bike that is a second hand shitter? What's wrong with a cheap suit on a nice bike? Sometimes it's nice not to be the centre of attention.

However the idea of picking up a solid cheap bike and riding the traffic free cycle path into town along a river for a night out is grand. Oh for that world. This blog favours a balance of style and practicality.

Pun in the headline was from 'Cycling in the right gear for national bike week', an article from the Telegraph by Harriet Quick June 10 2009 that featured chic ladies in new clothes riding bikes in national bike week UK. For the full cycle chic manifesto see the link Bike by the Sea.

Cycle Chic
check this article :

No comments:

Post a Comment